Tuesday, August 6, 2013

2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B: Club Dirty Revival

Club Dirty Spec B

I have never seen a facelifted Subaru Legacy GT Spec B until this year. That's because they are somewhat rare, but packed with a ton of options any automotive enthusiast would be proud of. That makes me proud to own a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B, with some miles.


Interior Spec B

I will give a quick wiki on the Subaru Legacy GT Spec B:
  • The Spec B name comes from the upgraded shocks manufactured by Billstein
  • The first Spec B's appeared as a 2006 model, each being numbered 1-500.
  • Some upgrades for my Spec B over the 2008 Legacy GT include those Billstein shocks, aluminum control arms, a six speed transmission derived from the WRX STI, 18 inch wheels, limited slip rear differential derived from the WRX STI, and a Spec B-specific interior of leather and cloth (to name a few)
  • They are cool

This Subaru Legacy like all from the 2008 model year came standard with all-wheel drive. Finally, a reason to look forward to the cold weather! 


It was a really hard decision between a 2008-2009 Legacy GT and one of my dream cars, the 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Holden Commodore). The ultimate deciding factor came down to the gear box options: Spec B only came with a 6 Speed Manual, and the G8 GT only came with  6 speed Automatic. After owning a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon with an automatic transmission for a short period this year, I knew that I missed the feeling of control a manual gearbox gives you in a vehicle. Also, a manual transmission is a lot more fun. I am sure I will own a Holden at some point, but for now I could not be happier with the Spec B.

I am technically the 3rd owner of this car. The second owner only owned the car for a couple of months, and was looking to sell for the opposite reasons why I parted with my previous Legacy. The owners wife was not a fan of the manual gearbox. Somewhat skeptical of this excuse for a short ownership, the 2nd owner had paperwork for all the work he put into the car which included a brand new factory turbo installed by trained professionals. The original owner apparently did a great job taking care of the vehicle, as the second owner states that no extra cosmetic work was necessary besides a wheel refinish to remove some curb rash. I am not paranoid about wheel perfection, but it is always a plus to have some club dirty approved wheels on my ride.

The goal is to keep the Spec B for as long as possible, and keep it a daily driver for its life. The car is 100% stock and I am happy to have a clean slate to work with. Thankfully, a lot of the Subaru WRX/STI aftermarket applications transfer over to the legacy platform. To have a car with the Subaru WRX STI potential without the status of being cop bait I find most appealing. Being old and grown up sucks, but this car delivers a professional look with the heart of a college frat star. 

All of these pictures were taken by me, and are all my car. That being said, the car has a lot of miles for its age. Can you guess its mileage? Leave a comment with your guess and find out next post if you were correct! Hint: I have had to replace the radiator since my ownership began in June.

Be on the lookout for more articles, pictures, and the potential for some videos of the Spec b as well as anything else from around the world that can be considered a Club Dirty Auto.

Don't forget to check out facebook.com/clubdirtyauto 

2 comments: