Thursday, October 4, 2012

Craigslist Special: Oldsmobile Alero Turbo

Oldsmobile Alero Turbo

The Oldsmobile Alero is one of the least attractive platforms for any automotive tuner or enthusiast. Personally, I spend a lot of time planning my upgrade path or products that I want to use on my vehicles, down to the point of doing research of possibilities BEFORE I even purchase a car. I cant even image the huge amounts of pain in the ass this Alero would have undergone, from a mechanics perspective, to become a turbo'ed vehicle. 


The pictures are pretty bad, but somehow I am intrigued (my apologies for being caught in the Oldsmobile zone) by the car! I want to see more of this thing, like a video to see that it moves under its own power. 

How fast is it? The only thing that sticks out from the description is that is has a claimed 324.7hp coming from its 2.4L stock(?) engine, with help from a gt35 turbo tuned at 15psi. Who tuned it? Whoever it is, props to them! It has a custom 2.75 inch exhaust,"big supra" intercooler, and an SRT-4 muffler. I know for a fact that the SRT-4's did not come stock with a muffler, relying on the turbo/cat/resonator to pass regulations for a noise compliant vehicle. That lack of knowledge pinpoints that the owner has more-than-likely made poorer decisions in his life than choosing an Alero as the base of an automotive build.


How many miles does it have? What are those rims/who makes them? We will never know because the craigslist post description does a poor job on describing anything worth knowing. He has had the Alero for 3 years. Sweet, good for him. Although, he does have a cool picture of some Corvette brakes in the craigslist post...


The seller is only asking for $3,000 and claims that he is "moving on" from the project. They must have found a rare Mercury Sable station wagon, begging for it to be twin-turbo'ed. I don't get it.

I might be bashing the post, but I do have utmost respect for all the work and craftsmanship that was put into this thing. If this amount of effort was put into restoring a more respectable car, it probably would not have been mentioned here on Club Dirty Auto. So with that, I applaud the craftsmanship and wasted effort put into this car.

Does anyone have a story of a ridiculous build like the Alero? If so, email me at mseymour@clubdirtyauto.com




No comments:

Post a Comment