Thursday, October 11, 2012

Craigslist Finds: Custom VW Cabriolet

Custom VW Pickup truck

These kind of deals you cannot find anywhere else but Craigslist. I stumbled across this VW during one of my car dazes on Craigslist. I basically search for anything under $2,000 to see what I find and most always find something interesting.
Unlike the Oldsmobile Turbo, this modification does not seem too out for the ordinary for the Volkswagen crowd.

VW conversion cabriolet pickup

For $800, you can get yourself a 1993 custom Volkswagen Cabriolet, fully equipped with a fiberglass "truck" bed. Who needs a convertible? This ride is for doing manly things. Carrying the lumber you just chopped from a forest is the perfect chore for this Volkswagen. The seller goes on to state that the bed is fully functional, unlike a low-rider truck which serves no purpose other than to throw sparks from an old and rusty frame.

The engine is claimed to be in tip-top condition. New head gasket, new seals, new water pump, new timing belt, engine mounts, transmission mounts, spark plugs, and filters. All this sounds great, but why would you sell the car, after all that work, for only $800? It claims it needs some work, so I contacted him to find out.


So the Cabriolet will need 2 new tires, the blower motor to fixed (to have a functional defroster), and the brakes to be adjusted. I am by no means a mechanic, but the only brake adjusting I can think of would be the handbrake. If your brakes don't work, you have bigger issues than a simple adjustment. Calipers, pads, brake lines, brake boosters, master cylinders, wheels cylinders, who knows! Specifics are nowhere to be found in this description, like most of the Craigslist ads I come across.


Personally, I would need to take a closer look at that rear window before I deem this as Club Dirty Approved. The owner states in his ad that he uses it for a daily driver which is awesome, but not for me. What do you guys think? Leave me a comment about your personal opinions for this custom Volkswagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment